Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My words feel hollow.

The Boston terrorism tragedy is forefront in my mind today.

Perhaps I need to turn off the news .  There is so much information, unintentional misinformation, photos and videos.   My heart aches for the people injured by these bombings and the families and loved ones of the people who perished in them. 

We probably all know someone who runs and participates in marathons and 5 k walk/runs, etc.  I have many friends who are runners.  Even my 11 year old son enjoys an occasional run/walk event.  He came home from school yesterday and announced that he doesn't think he wants to do these events anymore.  I attempted to discourage him from a complete boycott.  But at the same time I was thinking of all the people we heard about and saw on the news yesterday and discouraging him wouldn't have been hard

No, we don't live in a huge city like Boston.  But what precludes our small town from experiencing a similar event?  Nothing.  That is why it's called terrorism...It can make you live in fear-if you let it.   My husband and I have stood at the finish line the few times he has raced, waiting excitedly for our son to cross.  The photo below was the beginning of the race.  I remember feeling so proud and excited for him.  Surely, it was the same feeling for all the families of the runners of the Boston Marathon yesterday.  What a tragic end for so many spectators.

My son's latest 5 K race


So, where does it end?  Do we stay cocooned in our safe little corners of the world and in our homes?  No. We will pray away the fear for others and ourselves.  Our sons, daughters, husbands and wives will run in 5 k races and we will wait excitedly at the finish line. 

 We will not waste a moment to rush to help someone in need.

 I will encourage our son to participate without fear in the things he loves because "Darkness cannot drive out darkness.  Only light can do that. "
 We need to be a beacon to others in that darkness!

Run like the wind my friend!

These are some quotes I read this morning that resonate with me-

"Went on a run.  And ran my hardest. Perfect time to think. I am so grateful for my legs and thankful I live in America."

"We are Boston"

 “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.” - Mr. Rogers

2 comments:

  1. The Boston event has left me very sad. I have been training for the Country Music Marathon for months and it will take place in less than 2 weeks. My family is terrified for me but I have worked so hard and if I just give up and say "no" I won't be doing myself or those injured in Boston any favors. Americans have honor and honor others. Therefore I will run/walk for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D, You are a credit to all runners and the American spirit. Run like the wind!

      Delete

I won't know what you think if you don't leave me a comment...

Heartfelt Haiku - "Serenity"

I'm longing for blue Waves and tides and beach campfires The October cape.