Monday, August 9, 2010

Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

I've always loved this poem.  It's meant for me different things at different times.  I have never interpreted this poem to be about death/suicide- as some have analyzed.  For me, it's about the endless litany of things to be completed before sleep is even entertained as a thought.

I have a motto under which I live-in a subconsciously, unwilling state.  It is "Spinach before ice cream."  And so it goes, the less attractive and necessary tasks in life must be completed before any enjoyment can be had. This motto however, is quite flawed.  Sometimes, even the necessary tasks go undone as well as the frivolous and enjoyable ones... With this mindset, the man in the poem would neither walk through the lovely deep dark woods or make the long journey home. He would merely be overcome by it all and fall asleep with his confused little horse, in his sleigh. 

My hope for this blog and myself is to *take* that walk in the lovely deep dark woods.  See, smell, touch, and taste all that it offers.



Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening







Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment

I won't know what you think if you don't leave me a comment...

Heartfelt Haiku - "Serenity"

I'm longing for blue Waves and tides and beach campfires The October cape.