Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Anniversary

Today marks my 5th Anniversary of being cancer free.  I was diagnosed with cervical cancer on July 25, 2005.  The surgery was scheduled just 2 weeks after the diagnosis. I didn't tell my children at the time because they were so young.  8, 6 and 3.  We just didn't want to scare them with the word cancer.  Our 3 year old might not have even known what the word cancer means.  Hearing the word cancer fills me with dread.We didn't want to put that dread into our children.

This past Spring, our youngest son's Cub Scout Pack were participants/vendors in a Relay for life event.  I felt as though this would be the right opportunity to tell our children about my cancer.  My husband is also a cancer survivor.  He had thyroid cancer twice in the early 90's.  Telling our children about our experience was a very cathartic experience.  We assured them that we're now healthy and that having cancer is not as dark as it seems.  Since the Relay for Life, I have grown emotionally in relation to being a cancer survivor.  It's no longer a subject that cannot be discussed in front of my children. I see more opportunities for growth and fulfillment.  My husband gave me a cello and violin for my birthday this past June.  I've longed to learn to play these instruments for many years. It's sort of a 'Bucket List' item.  So, when I am done writing for today, I will play my cello in my quiet home and enjoy the moment.

Today is my Mom's birthday.  She would have been 83 this year.  She passed from this world October 24, 1983 from Leukemia.  I chose this day for my surgery 5 years ago, because I wanted her birthday to be a day of rebirth for me as well.  Happy Birthday Mom.  I love you and miss you so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I won't know what you think if you don't leave me a comment...

Heartfelt Haiku - "Serenity"

I'm longing for blue Waves and tides and beach campfires The October cape.